- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup marsala wine
- Two large eggs
- Four teaspoons sugar
- One pinch salt
- oil for deep frying
How to make the Cannariculi:
- Make a well in flour in a mixing bowl or on a work surface.
- Add wine, eggs, sugar, and salt.
- Mix well until thoroughly blended.
- Knead the dough vigorously until smooth and glossy.
- If using a processor, continue mixing for at least 1 minute after ingredients are combined.
- Roll dough to a 1/8″ thickness or less.
- Cut dough into 2″ squares, starting with one corner, roll each square of dough loosely on
- the diagonal to form a pastry roll about the thickness of a pencil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil for deep frying.
- Fry pastries in batches in hot oil until golden brown, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove fried pastries from the oil.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Drizzle honey over the top or dip Cannariculi into honey.
Regional recipe from Calabria.