- Asparagus, trimmed — 2 pounds
- Butter, cut into pieces — 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Parmesan cheese, grated — 1/2 to 2/3 cup
- Salt and pepper — to taste
How to make Asparagi alla Parmigiana:
Roasting is an excellent way to prepare asparagus. This simple dish with a tasty Parmesan crust is a snap to throw together. Asparagi alla parmigiana is a springtime favorite in northern Italy.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Butter a shallow gratin or baking dish that is just large enough to hold the asparagus. Place a layer of asparagus in the container, with the tips all facing the same direction. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and some of the cheese. Keep adding layers until all asparagus, and all cheese is used, finishing with the cheese.
- Dot the top of the dish with the pieces of butter and place the dish on the top rack of the oven. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the asparagus is cooked through and brown and the cheese is melted.
- Instead of the butter, use olive oil or half butter and half olive oil.
- Use half Parmesan and half shredded fontina cheese for a creamier gratin.
- Layer a couple of slices of prosciutto in with the asparagus if you like.
- Sprinkle with a bit of lemon zest for added zing.
Regional recipe from Emilia-Romagna.