Pasticcio Di Penne Alla Valdostana – Penne Pie Valdostana Style
- 1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, whole
- 4 T butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 oz penne (about 2 1/2 cups dry pasta)
- 3 oz Bel Paese cheese, thinly sliced or cubed – or any creamy, mild cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
How to make the Pasticcio di penne alla valdostana:
Saute’ the mushrooms with the whole garlic clove in 2 tablespoons of the butter over high heat. Add salt and pepper, lower the heat and cook for 3 minutes. Discard the garlic. Cook the pasta as usual. Drain and dress with the remaining butter.
Butter an ovenproof dish and cover the bottom with a layer of penne. Distribute about a quarter of the mushrooms and the sliced cheese evenly over the pasta. Sprinkle with one tablespoon of Parmesan. Add another layer of pasta and cover with mushrooms and cheese as before.
Repeat until you have used all the ingredients, finishing with a layer of sliced cheeses. Pour over the cream, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake, covered the pasticcio di penne alla valdostana with foil, in a preheated oven at 400Ã‚Â° for 10 minutes.
Bake uncovered for a further 10 minutes, or until a light crust has formed on the top. Remove the pasticcio di penne alla valdostana from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Pasticcio Di Penne Alla Valdostana – Penne Pie Valdostana Style is a Regional recipe from Valle d’Aosta