Reggio Calabria cuisine
The Neapolitan and Sicilian cuisine influence it. Nevertheless, the gastronomy of Reggio maintains its typicality. It’s linked to the products of the land and the sea on which the city overlooks.
Many preparations of Calabrian cuisine are linked to festivities. So the petrali at Christmas, the pignolata at Carnival, u soffrittu i capretto at Holy Saturday, the roasted kid and cudduracia at Easter, a pitta chi curcuci at Easter Monday and a pasta ncasciata at Ferragosto.
Murseddu – Mursiellu
Also known as suffrittu or mursiello (especially in the towns of Reggio Calabria and Cosenza), murseddu is among the most notable of Calabria’s dishes. It is an old specialty that combines tripe cut into thin, long strips with slices of calf’s liver and pork liver, red wine, bread dough, tomatoes, chili pepper, aromatic herbs, and olive oil. The whole is cooked very gently in lard until tender and is often tucked into warm pitta, a yeasted Calabrese flatbread, as a hearty filling. Its most refined version is baked in a deep pie dish, whereas in trattorias, the more time-consuming bread dough is replaced with simple slices of bread. The name murseddu originates from the Spanish almuerzo, or breakfast, and to this day, Calabrese farmers eat a heaping portion of murseddu before setting out for a day in the fields.
For the dough:
10 g fresh yeast (or 1 / 2 bag dry)
250 g flour + flour for dough sheeting
One pinch of salt
For the filling:
250 g pork (neck part)
150 g Pork liver
150 g of calf liver
250 g tripes
4 tbsp. l. tomato paste
2 tbsp. l. pork lard or butter
A spicy chili pepper (peperoncini)
Two cloves garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper
olive oil for greasing the dough and shape
1 tsp. Oregano for strewing
How to make the MURSEDDU:
- To test the yeast to dissolve in 2 tbsp. l. warm water, add 2 tablespoons. l. flour mix (dough). The rest of the flour put in a bowl, make a mid-cavity, add salt and pour the brew. Cover with a towel and put in a warm place for 30 minutes. Then add about 120 ml of warm water and vent a smooth elastic dough. Again cover with a towel and leave for 1 hour (the dough should rise in the volume of a 2-fold).
- At this time, cook stew. Pork liver and cut into cubes of 1 cm onion and garlic finely. In a pan melt the lard. Fry the liver, remove from pan. Then put the garlic, onion and hot chillies and fry, stirring occasionally.
- The temperature was added, put the pork in a frying pan, fry well on all sides. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Tomato paste diluted in 4 tbsp. l. water and add to meat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Dobvait liver, again put out the 10 minutes. Then open the lid, remove the hot chillies, salt and pepper to taste.
- The oven heat to 175 ° C. Circular shape with a diameter 26 cm greased with olive oil. 2 / 3 roll the dough into a floured table in the range of 5 mm thick, put in shape, fold the edges on the edge. Put the beef stew, skirtings bend in the middle of the pie.
- The remaining dough and roll it out to close the pie. The edges are well slapped, spread with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano. Bake in oven for 50 minutes.
Murseddu – Mursiellu is a Regional recipe from Calabria