We’ve been eating gemelli pasta with porcini mushrooms all winter. This pasta is just the right combination of earthy and creamy. It is the kind of pasta that mushroom lovers dream about. Our porcini mushrooms from Borgo Val di Taro are really the star of this dish.
- Coarsely break up the dried porcini with your hands. Soak them in a bowl with warm water (enough to cover all the mushrooms). Let them rehydrate for approximately 35 minutes, then drain the porcini mushrooms, saving their water*.
- Boil a pot of salted water for the pasta.
- In a pan, sauté the onions with the melted butter until translucent. Put the porcini in the pan, adding EVOO and some porcini water (approximately 1/2 cup).
- Once the pasta is cooked al dente, drain and save some pasta water. Sauté all the ingredients in the pan for few minutes. Add some pasta water, one spoonful at a time. Then add the grated cheese and the chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately grounding some black pepper on the dishes to taste.
*Here’s a tip: the porcini water can be used to enrich anything from the risotto to stews, to soups.
Regional Recipe from Campania