Vanilla Crescent Biscuits (Vanillekipferln)
The universal taste of Christmas is a permanent fixture in South Tyrolean holiday baked goods.
- Preparation time: 00:30 h.
- Persons: 8
- 320 g flour
- 60 g almonds, peeled and finely grated
- 60 g unpeeled, ground hazelnuts
- 270 g butter
- 120 g sugar
- Two eggs
- One pinch of salt
- sugar and vanilla sugar for rolling
How to make Cornetti alla vaniglia – Vanilla Crescent Biscuits (Vanillekipferln)
- Place the flour on a work surface and mix in the almonds and hazelnuts.
- Knead together butter (cut into cubes), sugar, eggs, and salt; add flour mixture and work into a smooth dough. Form into a roll.
- Let dough chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Cut the roll of dough into small pieces, forming little balls; roll balls into small cylinders and bend both ends to form crescents.
- Place the crescents onto a baking sheet and bake until light brown.
- While still warm, roll crescents in the vanilla sugar mixture.
From the cookbook Dolci Dolomiti
Heinrich Gasteiger, Gerhard Wieser, Helmut Bachmann
Regional recipe from Südtirol