This dish is known in my family as “Nonno’s chicken” because I perfected its execution, resisting the requests to lower the oil temperature: you need it very hot!
Now my 15 year old granddaughter Mia learned how to prepare it, and, therefore we call it “Nonno’s chicken by Mia“. Here what you need to prepare it:
- chicken breasts
- one or two eggs
- bread crumbs – PLAIN not flavored!
- vegetable oil
- lemon slices
- Beat the eggs in one dish
- Slice the chicken very thin
- Prepare the bread crumbs in a second dish
- Pass the chicken in the beaten eggs
- Pass them in the bread crumbs
- Heat the oil very hot
- Put the chicken in the hot oil, and cook it until they are colored
- Take out and put on a plate covered with paper that will absorb the oil
- Serve with a side of lemon slices
An alternative often presented in recipes present on the web uses butter instead of oil. However, in my opinion, and experience, it gives a lower quality result because the butter doesn’t reach the same high temperature available with the oil. Therefore it cannot be called “Nonno’s chicken“!
6 slices of chicken breast of about 70 g each 3 yolks 1 egg white 1 tablespoon grated cheese breadcrumbs 80 g butter nutmeg salt
How to make Chicken Milanese
In a large bowl, cream the three egg yolks with the egg white, add the grated cheese, a pinch of salt and a pinch of nutmeg.
Lightly beat the slices of breast, season with a pinch of salt and immediately pass them in the egg cream and then in the breadcrumbs, which must be very fine. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and when hot, place the chicken breasts in it. Fry them over high heat for a few minutes on both sides, turn them a couple of times and remove them when golden brown to prevent them from hardening. Dry on absorbent paper towels.
Regional recipe of Lombardy – imported to the USA